Re: Postfix based mailing list and yahoo's errors

Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> writes:

> On 2019-07-10 02:35, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:
>>> I have an smtp_header_check which adds Reply-To as the lists address
>>> (quite contrary to yahoo's suggestion).
>>
>> And contrary to IETF standards.  Repent!
>
> I know that there is always a debate about it, but I can't remember
> seeing anything from IETF about it. Can you point me to that standard?

This post

  http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-still-harmful.html

references RFC 2822, saying:

  In April of 2001, the IETF issued af new document, RFC 2822, which
  obsoletes RFC 822. In this new RFC, the author addresses the Reply-To
  header in a few places, but the most relevant to this discussion is
  the following in section 3.6.2 "Originator fields":

    When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the mailbox(es)
    to which the author of the message suggests that replies be sent.

and indeed I can see that text at

  https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt

Also, RFC2822 contains

  In all cases, the "From:" field SHOULD NOT contain any mailbox that
  does not belong to the author(s) of the message.  See also section
  3.6.3 for more information on forming the destination addresses for a
  reply.

which, while it is SHOULD NOT, not MUST NOT, speaks against yahoo's
scheme of setting the From: field to the list address.   There are
sometimes debates about whether mailing lists are forming new messages
from the original message, but this says "author" instead of "sender", a
nuance I had not previously noticed.