Re: Laptop Recommendations for NetBSD?

Suggestions weren't mind-blowing or anything, but the usual suspects:
Thinkpads and people saying some random laptop mostly works for them.

Mostly, it seems folks don't really run NetBSD on laptops, and if they
do they're silent about it.
I personally suspect most people run NetBSD as on servers,
virtualization (virtualbox or qemu), or toys like old machines/ports
and arm boards. I'd guess a very small percentage of NetBSD users use
it as a daily driver.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 12:52 PM U'll Be King Of The Stars
<ullbeking%andrewnesbit.org@localhost> wrote:

> Good choice, Chris!
>
> Is it possible to collect the suggestions that others gave you and send them around, either privately, or publicly to the list? I am looking for a Thinkpad too (anything that starts with X or T and ends in #00, #20, or #30) but it doesn't _have_ to be a TP.
>
> So far my attempts with my X230 been a bit frustrating.
>
> Andrew
>
> On 21 June 2019 16:09:50 BST, Chris Humphries <chris%sogubsys.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Ended up simply ordering a Thinkpad T420 off eBay for $200. Better
>> specs than I currently have and well supported.
>>
>> Thanks for all that gave me recommendations via this email, IRC, and
>> Twitter.
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 08:59:09PM +0000, Chris Humphries wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Hivemind,
>>>
>>> I'm shopping for a new laptop and would like to have a laptop with
>>> very good NetBSD support (ethernet and wireless networking works,
>>> graphics works using the graphics card in a non-generic way,
>>> suspend/resume works, trackpad).
>>>
>>> https://wiki.netbsd.org/laptops/ exists - but like many wiki pages,
>>> how current it is is questionable and may be rotten. Also, most of the
>>> laptops are very old.
>>>

>>> What is your laptop recommendation for running NetBSD bare-metal?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Humphries <chris%sogubsys.com@localhost>
>>> 5223 9548 E1DE DE87 F509  1888 8141 8451 6338 DD29
>

> --

Chris Humphries

PGP: 6338DD29 chris%sogubsys.com@localhost