Custom usb-image

Hi everyone!
Been running NetBSD with awesome wm on a laptop for a few months now and I'm enjoying every moment of it.
As I only use awesome wm on my machines, I would like to have it included on my install image.
I've read about the steps to create your own install CD. But CD/DVD readers are becoming rare on newer machines and also, the instructions don't mention "how to add" extra packages. At least, I haven't found them...
So, is it possible to create an install image for an usb that includes the base install, xinit, awesome, setxkbmap, sudo and git-base?
Alternative, create an install image that copies my current set-up and can be used to install an equivalent system on another machine.
Sorry if this has been addressed already.
Thanks!