Re: Sun widget

On 11/30/2018 1:46 PM, Brett Lymn wrote:
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 12:21:46PM -0700, Don NetBSD wrote:

It is *exactly* one-to-one.  I.e., it's just a 3 inch "extender cable".

Perhaps to make the tightly spaced network connectors on the rear of the
box more accessible to folks with fat fingers?  (That seems ludicrous).

I have seen that sort of thing used in test environments where connectors
are plugged/unplugged frequently.  You don't want to wear out the on board
connectors which are hard to replace so you make a sacrificial cable. When
the connector wears out then you can replace it with a new one. Is it
possible the netra was part of some automated test system?

Dunno.  I just pulled it (and some other items) out of a pile of stuff
that was being scrapped.  No idea who the original owner was nor how
it was used (and I'm not supposed to look at the contents of the disk
drives -- before wiping them -- to determine any of that  :< ).

The little widgets were still in their original poly bags -- along with
other odds-and-ends.  So, *they* hadn't seen any prior use...