Re: NetBSD disk I/O

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 16:29:26 +0000 (UTC)
Andy Ball <ball%grex.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I read with interest the thread about Sad Clouds' disk
> performance issues.  What I'm seeing is probably not related
> aside from being disk I/O and that we both use crude speed
> tests based on dd.
>
>     There is literally a pile of 2.5" SATA disks on my desk
> where I see very slow *write* performance.  The example I
> just tested wrote at about 5 MBytes/sec and read at 90 MB/S.
> I have been working on the assumption that this was caused
> by some incompatibility between some HGST drives and the
> D945 chipset.
>
>     In light of information from that other thread, I will
> try to set things up to re-run the same kind of test using
> a different operating system.  I will report my results
> here.  Has anyone else seen this, perhaps on Atom boards or
> with HGST drives on other systems?
>
> Thanks,
>   - Andy Ball

Hello, in my case it's not just slow I/O, i.e. if they were both slow
on Linux and NetBSD VMs, then I would just accept it. However on the
same VirtualBox host, with the same VM settings, NetBSD I/O is very
slow, compared to Linux. There is a reason somewhere, I just don't know
what it is. OK I don't use NetBSD VMs for anything critical, so I can
cope, but it would be nice to have it much faster.