Re: panic after sysupgrade update to NetBSD8.0

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 05:42:34PM +0000, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 04:39:17PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> > On 24.07.2018 15:44, Miwa Susumu wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I try update to NetBSD 8.0 from about six months ago current.
> > > by sysupgrade.
> > >

> > This would a downgrade and it's not fully supported and can brick your
> > setup. It might be easier to reinstall unless you know what you are doing.
> >
> > > after reboot then panic. at modules...?
> > > https://imgur.com/a/LRuTSNs
> > >
> > > sysupgrade support update from stable ? (e.g 7.1.2)
> > >

> > sysupgrade is for upgrades and 7.1.2 -> 8.0 shall work.
> >

> I've booted 7.1.x and 8.0 kernels on a -current userland. while I don't
> expect everything to work, it doesn't panic. I'd probably still regard
> it as a bug if it did.

Never mind, I can see, the panic is init dying. It's dynamically linked,
and postinstall probably removed an "older" library that init is linked
against, so it won't run.

You can still boot with:
boot -a (in boot prompt)
and select /rescue/init
/rescue/sh
export PATH=/rescue # now you can use regular commands from rescue

and unpack sets on top. This should work fine. it's postinstall that has
somewhat simple logic.