Printing on NetBSD: Converting xml to ppd

I am trying to get an Epson printer working, without a spooler
(preferably).

Just redirecting text to /dev/ulpt0 works. So it's a matter of using the
right filter now.

I have installed foomatic4-db which gives me the required file in xml
form:
/usr/pkg/share/foomatic/db/source/printer/Epson-L210_Series.xml

I am looking for a way to convert it to ppd, so that I can use it with
foomatic-rip.

I am not sure what the right command for xml to ppd is, but trying as
described here: http://www.openunix.eu/open-print.php

I find that any foomatic-ppd command results in the following error:

# foomatic-ppdfile list
[1]   Abort trap (core dumped) /usr/pkg/bin/foo... |
      Done(1)                 /usr/pkg/bin/foo...
Could not run "foomatic-combo-xml"/"foomatic-perl-data"!

Is above the right way to get a ppd? Does above error appear to be some
system configuration problem?

I am using NetBSD 8.0_RC1 amd64 Xen Dom0.

Mayuresh