Re: booting from gpt/raid?

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 07:09:27PM -0400, MLH wrote:
> Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Does CDROM on your boot options include DVD?
>
> Yes. That's what I used to recover my temp boot disk and it works
> great. In a separate message I mentioned I was attempting to build
> a custom Live DVD but I can't figure out the new way of creating
> a bootable CD/DVD since floppy boot images are gone and the Live
> images build.sh builds are not isos.
>
> Anyone know it's done now?

FWIW, I added support for booting from CDROM to grub long years ago and
had, at that occasion, read the El Torito spec.

If I remember correctly, there was not only the possibility to emulate a
floppy (with whatever standard floppy size; generally, the distributions
used the 2.88Mb format) but there was a HD feature: the image,
of whatever size, was used as a disk.

10 or more years ago, it was not widely supported by BIOSes. I guess it
is now supported and distributions use this feature instead of trying to
fit the kernel with its embedded root filesystem in constrained sizes.

OTH,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/