Re: NetBSD-8 and graphics cards

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 09:30:13PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> I've gone back to an old PCI card with ATI Rage 128, but this also
> doesn't work with Xorg

rage128:
You might want to build a kernel with all the new DRMKMS drivers
disabled, and old ones enabled. someone previously made a bug report for
it*, it might need "r128drm* at drm?" and commenting out all the
other DRMKMS drivers.

(It would be the old DRM code. there's new DRM code for rage128, just
nobody made it build/work yet).

quadro:
Did you update Xorg to netbsd-8 too? older netbsd Xorg lacks a nouveau
Xorg driver.

gt710: probably just too new. but would be interesting to see the panic
backtrace

netbsd doesn't support amdgpu (yet), I think pre-GCN cards have a chance
of working well and maybe some GCN1.

I don't recommend nvidia in general. comparing to a proprietary driver
in linux I got 0.2* the result in glxgears.
I use a GTX 770 but I heard of another 700 series that didn't work.

* http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=52496