Re: wpa_supplicant error on mac

You have to select "Advanced" and then "Adapter type" - paravirtualized, if you want to try vioif0.  VirtualBox_2017-07-01_20-33-55.png

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 at 19:10 Gua Chung Lim <ptkrisada%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Thank you very much for you responding my questions.

* Robert Elz (kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost) wrote:
> To expand on what maya@ said earlier...
>
>   | But I can use wm0 pretty fine both IPv4 and IPv6.
>   | I'm curious to know what this error means and how to fix it.
>
> Aside from turning off wpa_supplicant, as in:
>
>   | wpa_supplicant=YES
>
>       wpa_supplicant=NO
Yes, I have tried that it has no effects. IPv6 is still OK.
I even tried correct ssid but invalid psk, there is no effect.

> instead, there is nothing to fix.
>
> VirtualBox doesn't emulate any wireless networks, your NetBSD has no
> wireless interface configured, as maya said, wm0 is a wired interface
> (in this case, an emulated wired interface).
Yes it must be emulated bridge from host OS.
I tried connecting mac host to "IPv4 only network".
With the same configuration on NetBSD i.e. bridge network and IPv6 enabled.
NetBSD guest loses IPv6 connection.
Obviously, the bridge is emulated.

> So there is nothing (real) to fix, nothing to do, it should all just work.
>
> And if for some reason it doesn't, you can always use a virtualbox NAT
> configured network instead (though I have no idea how that would work
> for IPv6.)
NAT doesn't work, host is on IPv6 but guest did have only IPv4.

> I left that suggestion out as there have been some occasional problems
> with that driver, and I am not sure if they are all fixed yet (the problems
> occur rarely)    But that is what I use too.
I think, it's not yet fixed.

* Chavdar Ivanov (ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost) wrote:
> I could add that you could modify the type of the emulated interface in
> Virtual Box settings and use the paravirtualized interface virtio, which
> will be seen in your NetBSD VM as virtio0. This allegedly should work
> faster, although I haven't gone through any benchmarks, but my VMs with
> this setup seem to be working fine.
There is no paravirtualized interface. My VirtualBox only has network options
as listed...

Not attached
NAT
NAT Network
Bridge Adapter
Internel Network
Host-only Adapter
Generic Driver

Note! My VirtualBox is the lastest version, 5.1.22 r115126.

> I have only one problem presently with such a setup - when I use a bridged
> through wireless interface NetBSD VM and I connect it to a  physical NetBSD
> machine attached to the same wireless network, I lose the connectivity
> between the NetBSD physical machine and the (Windows 10 in my case) Virtual
> Box host. I just have to ssh through another NetBSD machine connected to
> the wired interface of the same WiFi spot and from there to the other
> NetBSD machine and clear the arp cache.
Your host is Windows 10, not Mac. NetBSD probably supports your laptop's NIC.
But on a Macbook, it doesn't support.

Thank you again for spending your valued time to my questions.

--
Gua Chung Lim

If you desire knowledges, learn one thing everyday.
If you desire wisdom, leave one thing everyday.

-- Lao Tzu