Re: Can NetBSD cgd be used for encrypted backup?

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 07:53:35PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> One could use sysutils/bup for this, or one of the bup followon programs
>
> bup seems a very good tool to me. I have used duplicity before and find
> bup to be a lot simpler than it.
>
> But a few notes on the bup web page[1] intrigue me, namely:
>
>    "bup is overly optimistic about mmap. Right now bup just assumes that
>    it can mmap as large a block as it likes, and that mmap will never
>    fail.  Yeah, right... If nothing else, this has failed on 32-bit
>    architectures (and 31-bit is even worse -- looking at you, s390)."
>
> Does it imply it will have issues on NetBSD i386?

bup save mmaps indexes, but not the data itself.  If you try to back up
about 400G on a machine with only 2G of RAM, you will run into problems
with the default build.  I have a patch that causing the hashsplit
pieces to be 8x bigger which results in ~8x less RAM use, and then 400G
backups are fine.

> Also:
>
>     "bup fuse" presents every directory/file as inode 0. The directory
>     traversal code ("fts") in NetBSD's libc will interpret this as a cycle and
>     error out, so "ls -R" and "find" will not work.

That's true.  But you don't need bup fuse to do backups or restores.   I
have been using bup for backups and actually had to restore after a disk
failure, and it worked.

>     There is no support for ACLs. If/when some entrprising person fixes this,
>     adjust t/compare-trees.

My impression is that bup does ACLs fine, and that the issue is that
some file systems don't.

(Are you really using ACLS?  It would be interesting if you posted a
note about what you are doing, how, why, and how well it works.)