Re: Can NetBSD cgd be used for encrypted backup?

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 07:53:35PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> One could use sysutils/bup for this, or one of the bup followon programs

bup seems a very good tool to me. I have used duplicity before and find
bup to be a lot simpler than it.

But a few notes on the bup web page[1] intrigue me, namely:

   "bup is overly optimistic about mmap. Right now bup just assumes that
   it can mmap as large a block as it likes, and that mmap will never
   fail.  Yeah, right... If nothing else, this has failed on 32-bit
   architectures (and 31-bit is even worse -- looking at you, s390)."

Does it imply it will have issues on NetBSD i386?

Also:

    "bup fuse" presents every directory/file as inode 0. The directory
    traversal code ("fts") in NetBSD's libc will interpret this as a cycle and
    error out, so "ls -R" and "find" will not work.

    There is no support for ACLs. If/when some entrprising person fixes this,
    adjust t/compare-trees.

[1] https://github.com/bup/bup

Mayuresh