Re: NetBSD on embedded devices

jm,
I have two of those units. Is that the “embedded system” you are going to install NetBSD on? If so you definitely do not need a “stripped down” version. I have one running my pfsense firewall and it hardly breaks a sweat. The other has had NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and now DragonflyBSD installed on it. I have 8Gig of RAM and two hard drives installed. One thing I have to say, under FreeBSD it ran really hot. NetBSD 7.1 was installed with no problem and ran without incident for a good while and ran hot, but not where I nee.

On May 15, 2017, at 7:47 AM, r0ller <r0ller%freemail.hu@localhost> wrote:

Hi Jukka,

Well, I'm no expert in that but you may be interested in this video presented by khorben and ask him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQdhHcMFpKo

Best regards,
r0ller

-------- Eredeti levél --------
Feladó: Jukka Marin < jukka.marin%embedtronics.fi@localhost (Link -> mailto:jukka.marin@embedtronics.fi) >
Dátum: 2017 május 15 11:39:07
Tárgy: NetBSD on embedded devices
Címzett: netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost (Link -> mailto:netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost)

Hello List,
I am considering using a stripped down NetBSD on an embedded system.
The system would boot from an SSD disk and the disk would be read-only
except for a separate data partition for sqlite. The system will have
httpd, sqlite, probably sshd, application software (one or more
binaries) but not much else. On hardware side, I will probably have
an x86 with "enough" RAM (a few gigabytes).
I'm wondering what would be the best way of system updates. I would
like to have two separate system images, one that is active and running
and another which can be updated. At boot time, the system would have
to check which image to boot from. (Or maybe I could use chroot or
some such to select the image to use.. or just mount one or the other..
or use a virtual machine or.. ;-)
Does anyone have suggestions for a system like this? How to make
updates (via http) foolproof?
I might use something like this to start development:
http://www.qotom.net/goods-129-Q190G4+4+LAN+Mini+PC.html
Thanks!
-jm