Re: Newbie: Thunar / Removable Media Question

Maybe we can port something like hotplugd from OpenBSD http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.1/hotplugd.8

On 08-May-2017 5:58 PM, "Wes Frazier" <wes.frazier%members.fsf.org@localhost> wrote:

On 05/08/2017 05:28, Christopher Pinon wrote:
Wes Frazier <wes.frazier%members.fsf.org@localhost> wrote:

I apologize if this is the wrong mailing list I was a bit torn as to the
exact list I should use for this. I am a new NetBSD user and I just
largely completed an initial install of NetBSD 7.1 with XFCE and various
packages from 2017Q1.

Anyway I have the system mostly installed and configured to my
satisfaction. However I wanted to see if there was a
prescribed/recommended way to get the automatic mounting and unmounting
of removable media working for file managers such as Thunar. I am
somewhat comfortable mounting and unmounting volumes from the
command-line but wanted to make sure there wasn't a better way to
integrate Thunar/XFCE into that process.

I haven't had much luck playing with gnome-mount or gnome-volume-manager
to assist.

This is bound to be a little adventure.

>From what I understand, automounting of removable media in Xfce/Thunar
is udev-dependent, hence Linux-dependent, so unless something has
changed in the meantime, I'm not sure that this will work.

You could try a native NetBSD solution with amd ( man amd ), which would
be independent of Xfce/Thunar, but this would require a little
research. See
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2008/10/06/msg002134.html for
an old thread on amd, but probably there are more recent attempts.

You might have better luck with Lumina ( https://lumina-desktop.org/ ),
which is BSD-friendly. There are positive signs that automounting of
removable media works on Lumina on TrueOS (
https://discourse.trueos.org/t/how-come-usb-devices-dont-show-up-in-other-desktops/1168
), but it's not clear whether this applies to NetBSD as well.

If you pursue this issue, let us know what you come up with. :-)

C.

I thought this might be the case I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

XFCE provides a panel plugin for mounting/unmounting volumes which can be configured to directly call mount/umount or custom scripts. I will likely just set that up for my needs and look into disabling the device tree in the file manager (Thunar) for the time being. I might look into amd some later, at first glance I thought it was specifically for mounting nfs shares but that thread does imply it is much more versatile.