Re: NetBSD-current on HP Pavilion p6142p

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017, John D. Baker wrote:

> It's an HP Pavilion p6142p mini-tower system.  The "nouveau" driver
> seems to like the video hardware as the framebuffer console is engaged.
> Although the LCD monitor its attached to (via DVI) can do up to 1600x1200,
> the display is stuck at 1024x768, including when using X.  While in X,

I used the "Xorg.0.log" output to cobble together a minimal "xorg.conf"
that should inform the Xserver to use a higher resolution.  When using
that file, the display switches to vt05, but the X server never appears.

As I used 'startx', I switched back to ttyE0 and saw that my X clients
had started.  Meanwhile vt05 remains black with a solid block cursor in
the upper left corner.

I though to see if the 'vesa' command from the boot program would
influence things.  The pxeboot version of the boot program reports "VBE
not available".  Using my USB liveimage, 'vesa list' showed that nothing
larger than 1024x768 was available.  It also made the boot process take
a short eternity, but I suppose choosing "1024x768x32" was a bad move.

The display stopped for a while during "nouveaufb" attachment but
eventually resumed displaying kernel messages.  There was no effect
on X behavior.

Has anyone else used this NVidia card and gotten more than the default
resolution out of it?

Admittedly, I'm not at liberty to make changes to this machine--just
experiment with it via USB live image or netboot.  My experiences with
NVidia hardware is so-far leading me to continue to avoid it.  (See also
the problems with the SATA interface elsewhere in this thread.)