Re: List of supported chipsets?

some hardware advice for stuff currently supported:

If wifi, anything supported by iwm is a good choice (desktops come with
wifi now). It works really well. Alternatively, ensure it's possible to
swap wifi cards for an iwm. I've done this for my laptop and it's
fantastic.

If you want nvme root, USB3, etc. - current will be necessary. will
likely need efiboot.

I have USB3 and "some non-USB3 ports", but they don't work without an
xhci driver. nhusb-7 exists as a branch that will likely be merged to -7
now that 7.1 is released, enabling xhci on it.
I think people are still waiting for I219 support in wm(4), it seems close.

We don't handle dual graphics (some laptops have onboard graphics for
battery life and a GPU for performance and will switch between them in
runtime), but it seems for those you can pick one and it will work.

our graphics acceleration support is from linux 3.15, to give you an idea
of where it ends. that means some of nvidia GTX 700 series (I have a
working 770), none of the fancy AMDGPU cards, and I believe we stop
short of Skylake graphics support (possibly sooner). However, no
graphical acceleration isn't that bad for my personal use-case.

I'm going to recommend against anything nvidia because even when nouveau
exists, it's not the same as having a vendor-supported driver. intel/radeon
are vendor-supported.