Re: NetBSD on a Soekris net4801

On 2/10/2017 15:11, udon%sdf-eu.org@localhost wrote:
Mike,

If I may ask, what was/is your network speed? I read in the smallwall (www.smallwall.org) documentation that throughput maxes out at around 40-50 Mbps.
This could be an issue since mine reaches 91 Mbps at times.

Thanks,
udon

I don't have any experience with the net4801, but I used a net5501 as my firewall/router (AMD Geode LX 433MHz, VIA VT6105M Rhine III ethernet), and with NetBSD, I was getting about 70Mbps out of it and CPU was maxed out processing interrupts. I tried switching to OpenWRT, and it was able to max out the 100Mbps ethernet (although it too was using pretty much all of the CPU to do that).

Since my internet downstream speed is 200Mbps, I had to switch hardware to something with gigabit ethernet, so I'm no longer using the net5501 (I upgraded to the net6501... but it recently died :( Seems to be a common failure mode as reported on the Soekris mailing list...)