Re: NetBSD on a Soekris net4801

On 10/02/2017 19:26, udon%sdf-eu.org@localhost wrote:
Hi all, I'm thinking of running NetBSD on a Soekris net4801. It has
128 MB RAM and 1 GB CF card. Does anybody have experience running
NetBSD on these machines? Do I need a custom kernel for the AMD Geode
CPU on the machines? Is there a good way to reduce wear (for example
swap use) to increase the CF card's life? Thanks, udon

Did it for years without any issues on NetBSD 6 right up to the point where I replaced that machine with something a little faster (it was my firewall and it was struggling to keep up with my DSL link at full speed :( ).

No custom kernel required. Geode works out of the box on NetBSD 6. Can't remember if I ever got as far as NetBSD 7 before I replaced it.

Only tricks I really did to reduce CF wear was to mount the filesystems noatime. Other than that I treated it entirely normally.

Mike