Re: NetBSD 7.02 on APU2 PcEngines

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016, 76nemo76%gmx.ch@localhost wrote:
Finally I have switched between the speed of 9600bps and 115200bps to install NetBSD 7.02 on APU2 from PCEngines.

Hi, Alan, I also have one of these little systems from PCEngines. I've been following your thread. It's been a few years since I've messed around with my little 500Mhz AMD-based PCEngines board, but I think my method to solve the issue you are having was to hard set the console and baud rate in a custom kernel.

From the GENERIC conf file:
#options        CONSDEVNAME="\"com\"",CONADDR=0x2f8,CONSPEED=57600

If you uncomment that line and nail the baud rate, then use that kernel you should be good to go.

This is uncomfortable but it works. What doesn't work however is the installation itself. The kernel boots for a while and stops on root device.

Can you do the install on another machine, install the custom kernel, then swap-a-roo the drive back to the PCengines host?

I can type what I want (wm0, wm1 etc.) but the installation hangs (sometimes after a curious message about NFS mount).

If you could post how far it got and what you see, that'd help.

Any ideas? Do you think that an network boot and install will solve these problems?

Why would netbooting help. I'm curious why that idea occurs to you? I thought the issue was the baud rate on the serial port ? I guess you could use a custom boot kernel via PXE/TFTP/BOOTP etc.. That might work/help.

I have tried to boot from an USB2 CDROM and booting the ISO image from syslinux system but this change nothing.

Are you passing any custom boot parameters? Can you summarize the specific issue you are having? I can try to help, since I have one of these machines myself and have used it for all kinds of BSD projects.

-Swift