Re: X and NetBSD Stable branch (alpha port)

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, the wise Michael wrote:

X in -current should work on (some?) PCI alphas, I don't know to what extent or which drivers have been tested though. The glint driver should work ( I assisted in making that happen a while ago ), possibly the radeon driver, but that's about it, as far as I know. Please test and report.

I managed to install NetBSD 7.99.40. After that I've rebuilt a new kernel with "options INSECURE" turned on. Afaik X needs this to set the securelevel to -1.

But this didn't work out very well. The new kernel caused networkproblems and X still didn't start (Failed to load /usr/X11R7/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.so: ... Undefined symbol "MGAPolyArcThinSolid" (symnum = 122)).

The machine has a Matrox G450PCI in it and is recognized correctly in SRM and by the kernel as well.

So went back to the GENERIC kernel included in 7.99.40, which is working fine for now, and investigating further how to install X.

Regards,
Marco

--
	The programmers of old were mysterious and profound.  We cannot fathom
their thoughts, so all we do is describe their appearance.