Re: Phoronix 8-way-BSD-install - NetBSD bombed

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> I always dd nulls to a disk that was used for another OS before starting
> a new install.

Same here.

> Specifically I have had issues installing NetBSD to a drive that had
> Linux (Red Hat) on it.  It's been a while but I think that the behaviour
> he saw is what I saw.  I ran dd to clean everything off the drive and
> then it worked just fine.

Hmm. It's one of those ritual-motion things I do now, and I can't even
remember what happens when you don't dd-wipe a FreeBSD disk and try to do
a fresh install of NetBSD.

> In any case I have my doubts about someone who claims to have written
> 10,000 articles over the last twelve years.  For what it's worth:

Well, I'd question the guy's testing methods and his Linux-centric
"Phoronix Test Suite". It looks akin to putting gas in a diesel engine and
wondering why the engine is such a turd. If he's going to use that
script-ware crap on *BSD he might want to do the same level of testing and
customization.

He writes a lot of one-sentence or one-paragraph articles. The site is
more like an RSS feed than a news site. So, I don't doubt the 10,000
number but using the term "article" to apply to all of them is a bit
generous.

> http://jonimoose.net/2013/moronix-why-amd-wont-take-michael-larabel-seriously-and-you-shouldnt-either/

Well, I have to say, I find this blogger's criticism pretty well placed.

-Swift