Re: installing on a VPS

Hi,

On Sep 5, 2016, at 9:03 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 05:38:14PM -0400, Al Zick wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for emailing me.

After many failures, I finally found a way to get the NetBSD kernel to boot.
Rackspace would not boot the xen kernel. It would crash before it was
completely loaded. The generic kernel boots.

I thought that at this point I would be through the worst of installing NetBSD on rackspace, but there is a new issue. The network seems to stop working for a few seconds and then it goes back to normal. Checking the
dmesg I get this:

# dmesg | grep re0
re0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0: RealTek 8139C+ 10/100BaseTX (rev. 0x20)
re0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 32
re0: Ethernet address bc:76:4e:20:7a:b8
re0: using 64 tx descriptors
rlphy0 at re0 phy 0: Realtek internal PHY
re0: watchdog timeout
re0: watchdog timeout
re0: watchdog timeout
re0: watchdog timeout

After searching about this, it seems this exists in more than just NetBSD.

Here is a link:
http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/XenServer-and-re0- watchdog-timeout-td219092.html

From what they say the best way to solve this problem is to change the network card that the virtualizer is emulating. I put in a support ticket at rackspace to see if they can do this. I am not sure that this will be an
option with rackspace. Is there a better solution?

You can try disabling the re driver in the kernel (either by rebuilding a
kernel, or with userconf). The rtk driver should then be used.

Okay, I tried disabling the re driver with userconf. I booted up and it seemed to work fine. However, after many reboots, while it was booting I did get one rtk0: watchdog timeout. I am not sure if this is anything to be concerned about or not.

There is also the issue of resizing the / partition. I use disklabel - e wd0. Then "A", next I change the size of partitions. I already had added resize_root=YES to my rc.conf, but it didn't resize. After trying many different things, I was able to corrupt the root partition, so now it only boots if I run fsck_ffs manually.

Some where on one of NetBSD's list I read where someone had created am image to install on rackspace (and probably others). They asked where to put the image, but I can't seem to find where that image is kept.

Kind Regards,
Al