Re: configuring remote headless servers

> But this led me to wonder how I would cope if, for instance, a server
> came up in single-user mode requiring an fsck.

The standard way to deal with this in DC deployments is to use IPMI:

1) Redirect the BIOS console to the IPMI virtual console.

2) Redirect the boot loader prompts to the IPMI virtual console device.

3) Spawn a getty on the virtual IPMI console device.

We do this on pretty much everything in our DCs.  We don't have any gear running NetBSD, but for the OpenBSD and FreeBSD machines, (2) involves one line in boot.conf, and (3) is an entry in gettytab.  (1) is OS agnostic, and involves configuring the machine's BIOS with IP addresses and login credentials.

--lyndon