Re: upgrading an old system

I have progresses as far as having oinstalled the binary sets and
running postinstall.   However I hit a problem when I set a password
for root, namely while I could login as another user (in group wheel)
I get an authentication error when I try to su, and I can't get back
to a condition where there is no superuser passwd.   So I daren't for
the moment swith the box off.

I remember that therre were various gotchas when PAM was introduced in
release 3.0.   Is there a step I may have missed out?

Also, would someone please remind me  where the boot-time
configuration lives (boot device, root device, swap device etc.)?
It's been a long day, and I don't get to do this sort of thing very
often.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>