Re: Proxy server, mode intercept on NetBSD 7.0.1

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.1608021259170.524%ugly.internal.precedence.co.uk@localhost>,
Stephen Borrill  <netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Aug 2016, metalliqaz%fastmail.fm@localhost wrote:
>> I've been very disappointed with the quality of NetBSD 7.0.1 since I
>> upgraded from 6.1.5 a few weeks ago.  I've been running pretty much the
>> same system config as my home router/NAT/firewall/server since NetBSD
>> 1.5.  I believe that's almost 15 years of ipfilter/ipnat.  It has always
>> worked well for me... until I moved to NetBSD 7.   I've had several
>> issues with various parts of the OS, but ipf is the one that causes
>> random kernel panics.
>
>I've got to agree with you. I've been using NetBSD for commercial products
>since 1996 and NetBSD 7 is the first upgrade that's got me nervous.
>Kudos to developers who've helped out with USB failing to work, squid
>interception, etc. The random lockups and panics with IPfilter are the
>most worrying for me though:
>
>http://gnats.netbsd.org/50168
>
>I believe that the bugs are triggered by external packets which is why
>they are random (disconnecting from the Internet stops the problems).
>Machines which have been solid for months have just started locking. I
>count this as a remote DoS vulnerability, but haven't yet tracked down
>the triggers.
>
>We need to support an installed base of a mix of netbsd-5 and
>netbsd-7 machines. Until we complete the upgrade to netbsd-7, npf will
>increase that workload because of duplication of effort. Even so as the
>firewall rules are autogenerated and have been developed over a number of
>years, it is not a small change to go into production systems.

>> bash-4.3# crash -M netbsd.0.core -N netbsd.0
>> Crash version 7.0.1, image version 7.0.1.
>> System panicked: trap
>> Backtrace from time of crash is available.
>> crash> bt
>> _KERNEL_OPT_NARCNET() at 0
>> _KERNEL_OPT_ACPI_SCANPCI() at _KERNEL_OPT_ACPI_SCANPCI+0x1
>> vpanic() at vpanic+0x145
>> snprintf() at snprintf
>> startlwp() at startlwp
>> calltrap() at calltrap+0x11
>> ipf_frag_expire() at ipf_frag_expire+0x76
>> ipf_slowtimer() at ipf_slowtimer+0x15
>> ipf_timer_func() at ipf_timer_func+0x2d
>> callout_softclock() at callout_softclock+0x248
>> softint_dispatch() at softint_dispatch+0x7d
>> DDB lost frame for Xsoftintr+0x4f, trying 0xfffffe80cefcaff0
>> Xsoftintr() at Xsoftintr+0x4f
>> --- interrupt ---
>> 0:
>> crash> q
>> bash-4.3# crash -M netbsd.1.core -N netbsd.1
>> Crash version 7.0.1, image version 7.0.1.
>> System panicked: trap
>> Backtrace from time of crash is available.
>> crash> bt
>> _KERNEL_OPT_NARCNET() at 0
>> _KERNEL_OPT_ACPI_SCANPCI() at _KERNEL_OPT_ACPI_SCANPCI+0x7
>> vpanic() at vpanic+0x145
>> snprintf() at snprintf
>> startlwp() at startlwp
>> calltrap() at calltrap+0x11
>> ipf_frag_delete() at ipf_frag_delete+0x74

This seems to be dying at:

static void
ipf_frag_free(ipf_frag_softc_t *softf, ipfr_t *fra)
{
        KFREE(fra);
->        FBUMP(ifs_expire);
        softf->ipfr_stats.ifs_inuse--;
}

I would comment the last 2 lines and see if I get something better.
There seems to be some memory corruption (surprise)....

christos