netbsd-7 fails to boot on dell optiplex 990

I tried to boot an amd64 GENERIC on a Dell Optiplex 990, and it paniced
with no console.   Following upgrade norms, I had only updated the
kernel and not userland.

From netbsd-6, dmesg is:

vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x1002 product 0x68f9 (rev. 0x00)
wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
radeondrm0 at vga0: ATI Radeon HD 5450
radeondrm0: Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 2 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 3 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)

On netbsd-7, I only have a picture, so this is hand-typed with
... numbers that don't immediately seem useful to try to type.

drm: initializing kernel modesetting (CEDAR ...)
drm: register mmio base: ...
drm: register mmio size: 131072
drm kern info: ATOM BIOS: ...
radeon0: info: VRAM: 512M ...
radeon0: info: GTT: 1024M ...
drm: Detected VRAM RAM=200M, BAR=256M
drm: RAM width 64bits DDR
Zone  kernel: Available graphics memory: 5774130 kiB
Zone   dma32: Available graphics memory: 2097152 kiB
drm: radeon: 512M of VRAM memory ready
drm: radeon: 1024M of GTT memory ready
drm: Loading CEDAR Microcode
drm kern error: r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radio/CEDER_pfp.bin"
DRM error in evergreen_init: Failed to load firmware!
radeon0: error: Fatal error during GPU init
radeon0: unable to attach drm: 2
panic: cnopen: no console device

Note that I am not actually trying to run X.   This box sits in a data
center and has a screen/kbd plugged into only to rescue it.

So I gather the firmware can't be loaded, because the nebsd-7 userland
isn't there.  That's ok, but the failure to load leaves things messed up
so that the text-mode kbd/display don't work.  Even though the output
part actually does, printing panic.

So I wonder what should be fixed; if I had text-mode only with no chance
to run X, I'd consider that a good outcome.

Fairly obviously I can take the radeon driver out of the kernel config,
and that would result in just legacy VGA text console (which would be
fine).

And less obviously I could put the microcode file in the fs, even
without the rest of the netbsd-7 bits.  (When the kernel boots stably, I
will upgrade userland.)

Any other ideas?