Re: i1915drmkms system crash in NetBSD 7.0

Hi Olaf,

On 08/05/2016 23:05, Rhialto wrote:
No doubt that message comes from Linux. I've always found it a very
worrying message. The whole idea of this kernel mode setting stuff was
to *prevent* userland bugs (or malicious programs) to affect the system
in a bad way. (If I've misunderstood that, the whole thing is even more
nonsensical than I already thought). But now you need the correct
graphics drivers in the kernel *and* in userland, whereas before you
only needed them in X. I don't see the progress. On the contrary.
</rant>

I understand and share your rant! X drivers are quite an issue. At least here with Intel they should work without any further nuiseance, at least, so it is on Linux. For ATI or nVidia you need proprietary stuff to have decent performance or rely on clang. One or the other way a nightmare. Gone are the easy days of NeoMagic :)

Stopping the rant... I think the kernel side seems to have an issue. If there is a lock problem in the kernel and then I have issues in X11 itself, I thought those warnings could be of interest. If they are meaningful  they should be solved.

So I share your rant, but don't know what your point is !

Riccardo