Re: NPF - npfctl_config_send: Invalid argument

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 10:39:19AM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:13:57 +0000
> coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
> > > npfctl: source /usr/src/sys/net/npf/npf_ctl.c line 174
> > > npfctl: npfctl_config_send: Invalid argument
> > >
> > > That source reference doesn't seem to sync to anything in the actual
> > > source.  Anyone know what this message indicates?
> >
> > Looks like npf_mk_table_entries(t, ents) returned EINVAL.
>
> Thanks.  It still doesn't tell me what I did wrong in the config.  I
> have to assume that npf doesn't fail for everyone.  Here's my config in
> case it offers clues.  Also, since I am just switching from pf any
> critique of the way I am doing things is welcome.
>
> # $Id$
> # Common npf.conf for Vex.Net
>
> $ext_if = inet4(bge0)
> $int_if = inet4(bge1)
>
> # These tables include IPs personally known to us.
> table <FRIENDS> type tree file "/VEX/general/npf/friends.list"
> table <ENEMIES> type tree file "/VEX/general/npf/enemies.list"
>
> # The auto block table is built by a script examining attacks
> table <AUTOBLOCK> type tree dynamic
>
> group "eth0" on $ext_if {
>     pass in final family inet4 proto icmp all
>     pass stateful in final from <FRIENDS>
>     pass stateful out final from <FRIENDS>
>     pass in final proto udp from any port ntp
>     block in final from any port auth
>     block in final from <ENEMIES>
>     block in final from <AUTOBLOCK>
> }
>
> group default {
>     pass final on lo0 all
>     pass final on bge1 all
>     block all
> }
>

> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
> http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost

Sorry - I'm unable to reproduce this issue with your config file.

I don't use a packet filter normally, so I had to make minimal changes
and insert mock entries to the lists. Perhaps the problem is in the list
files.

There are example files in /usr/share/examples/npf, maybe a comparison
against them will help.

I wonder about the use of eth0 (in 'group "eth0" on $ext_if') when your
network interfaces are named bge0, bge1.
The examples uses group "external", instead, as well.