Re: scp dropping connections

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >I attached gdb on sparc64 to sshd process and after 30 seconds got the
> >following
> Do you have a NAT/firewall and you don't have keep state in your pass rules?

I've also seen misconfigured NIDS system that are setup for TCP
"shootdown" (ie..  sending RSTs to both sides with valid SEQ numbers
causing an instant disconnect). Occasionally they will see something in
the encrypted data stream (or just the fact that it's encrypted) and shoot
down the connection because it violates some network policy (usually just
misconfigured to think that).

If that's the cause, it's very easy to see it in a packet trace because
all the sudden out of nowhere you just see an RST hit you and kill the
connection. Then on the opposite (client) side, if you take a trace at the
same time, you won't see it actually _sending_ the RST. Thus, you know a
NIDS spoofed it.

-Swift