Re: Reformatting little USB-harddisks

Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:13 AM, herbert langhans <w3%langhans.com.pl@localhost> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>> you sure know these little external USB-harddisks, often used for laptops
>> or basic backups. Like WD-Passport and Seagate Expansion and whatever
>> they name them.
>>
>> They come FAT formatted, right? Has anyone of you tried to
>> reformat them for NetBSD? I guess its not a big thing, but I wonder if I
>> can buy any brand (need it for portable server backup and need GID/UID) or
>> there are some models what make trouble with formatting, partitioning or
>> mounting.
>>
>> I had some trouble with USB-Sticks. Thats another story, but close
>> enough the be alert just buying any plug n play solution what may not
>> work later.
>>

> Most of these that I've used work just fine. You end up mounting them
> as /dev/sdXe and use mount_msdos. /dev/sdXe is just a made up
> disklabel that the machine makes to temporarily deal with it.
>
> Some come formatted with ExFAT now which is not compatible with
> NetBSD, and might never be as far as I know.
>
> You can wipe them and use fdisk and disklabel to turn them into "real"
> NetBSD disks without any problem. There might be a few that cause
> issues but most work in my experience.

Agreed.

The only issue is disks with 4K sectors may need newer NetBSD (7) to
work right.   But 512-byte sectors should have no issues.

I have seen a 3T disk (WD elements) with 4K sectors that I can't get
NetBSD 7 to recognize.  But I think that's an odd disk, not a general
issue.  And it's not about the filesystem; it's about the disk itself.