wpa_supplicant rc.conf config silently failing

Hi,

I was enabling wpa supplcant so added these lines:

        wpa_supplicant=YES
        wpa_supplicant_flags="-c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i run0"

and tested it using:

        /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant start

and all seemed to work (well, after I fixed my .conf file :-), but
then I rebooted:

        Nothing.  Silence.

So I login and start it manually and again it works.  While I tracked
it down to needing:

        critical_filesystems_local="/var /usr"

(if I'd used sysinstall I'm assuming that would have been set
automatically) I think the real problem is with rc.subr and:

                start)
                        : ...
                        if [ ! -x ${_chroot}${command} ]; then
                                return 0
                        fi

If the command is enabled, yet the required executable doesn't exist,
then issuing some sort of message would be helpful.  That way, what is
otherwise a correct and enabled configuration doesn't silently fail
during boot.

Andrew

PS: I filed 50847 but it occurs to me that it is worth discussing here first.