Re: ZFS

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 09:30:15 -0700 (MST)
Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> However, of those only deduplication is all that exciting. Other ZFS-like
> features we have (if you consider the full NetBSD toolset):
>
>    - Block device encryption
>    - Ability to grow a file system (don't think UFS in NetBSD can shrink)
>    - Block device abstraction, aggregation / RAID (LVM / RAIDframe)
>    - File system snapshots
>    - Root disk mirroring

Yes, NetBSD has these, but it's a lot easier on ZFS. As an example, I
don't have to worry about shrinking or growing partitions, because they
are all pulling space from a common pool. I haven't used fss(4) yet,
but ZFS snapshots appear to be a lot more powerful. I use zfs clone and
zfs send/recv extensively.

On the other hand, ZFS on anything other than Solaris has always felt
like a square peg in a round hole. I think it makes a lot more sense to
put energy into porting Hammer. This gets us a filesystem with a future
that can be controlled and guarenteed, as well as integrating cleanly.

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>