Re: GPT vs BSD-label

On 2016-02-08 21:30, Swift Griggs wrote:

> Can one use the BSD disklabel to fully replace a GPT or MBR table? I
> understand why folks want to move from MBR to GPT, but do the same
> reasons apply to BSD disklabels? In other words, is there any advantage
> to using GPT over BSD diskabels ?

> The only thing I can think of is that the partitions might be visible to
> other OS's which aren't savvy about BSD disklabels. In my case, there is
> no value in that as my disks stay with BSD machines.

My experience with NetBSD and FreeBSD is that one can't read the other's disklabels.

Also, when I tried to disklabel-partition a NetBSD slice, and write the result, it didn't seem to hold.  However, when I ran sysinst, the disklabel held.

So now I have nothing further to do with BSD disklabels.

Also, GPT enables me to not worry about running short of primary partitions.

Tom