Re: running a logitech quickcam 4000 on a netbsd raspberry pi

    Date:        Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:04:36 -0500
    From:        Marina Brown <marina%e271.net@localhost>

  | Ok - can you give me a pointer to the CVS string to pull down the
  | correct SRC tree to rebuild my kernel then.
  |
  | This is the kern i am running now.
  |
  | NetBSD chickencoop 7.0.0_PATCH NetBSD 7.0.0_PATCH (RPI.201601100500Z) evbarm

If you want that exact kernel

a) if you already have the sources unpacked, then in the src, or src/sys
directory do...
	cvs [-q] update -dAP -r netbsd-7-0:201601100500Z

b) if you don't have the sources, then in some directory where you
can create a src directory
	cvs [-q] co -dP -r netbsd-7-0:201601100500Z

If you would prefer to get the latest updates to NetBSD 7.0, just
leave off the ':' and date string.

If you're going to do that, I'd probably suggest cross-compiling on something
with (in particular) more I/O bandwidth (also CPU and RAM) than a PI.

But before you waste the time and effort to do that, check if what
Michael van Elst suggested is correct or not - I know nothing about
video devices, and have no idea at all...

Run
	usbdevs -v

and send the output.   Someone will probably either recognise the
relevant magic in there, or tell you what else is needed.

It is also possible there's a module already (less likely in 7.0
than in current, but still possible)

Look if there is a uvideo module in /stand/evbarm/7.0/modules
If there is, you can just try loading it

	modload uvideo

(include -v if you like) and see if that results in the board changing
from a ugen to a uvideo device.

Lastly, whatever happens, it is not impossible that somewhere there is
code that can read from the device through the ugen device driver.
Since you appear to need only a fairly simple interface, if such a program
exists somewhere, that might be enough.   You'd need to use google (or
equiv) to search, and probably a fair bit of experimentation.

kre