ataraid issue was Re: [netbsd-7] Critical issue with ffs+log

BERTRAND Joël a écrit :
Thor Lancelot Simon a écrit :
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 05:15:09PM +0100, BERTRAND Jo??l wrote:
Thor Lancelot Simon a ?crit :

Ugh, ataraid.

If you skip the first 1MB or thereabouts, do the drives have exactly
the same contents?

    I suppose you say that ataraid is not usable in production...
I will try to convert ataraid in raidframe configuration as soon as
possible.

I am not advocating that, I'm trying to gather information.  Do the
drives actually have the same contents at this point in time, or not?

     I don't know as this server if far away and doesn't reboot anymore.
Kernel doesn't find /sbin/init. I will try to reboot this server next
friday (CET). And after, I will check if both drives have same contents.

     Regards,

     JKB

	Hello,

I cannot verify if both disk of my ataraid have same contents. But I have done some tests on two new NetBSD 7 installations with ataraid (same hardware, same disks).

I have desynchronized raid on the second of these workstations (by entering in kdb during huge disk I/O and rebooting system without any sync operation).

First constatation : this system has never tried to resynchronized raid. It only tried to run fsck at boot.

Second constatation : kernel regulary panics in vfs/ffs subsystem on second workstation (both disks don't contain same data). It never panics on first one.

I suspect your explanation is correct. System tries to write on ataraid and write operation aborts as kernel panics. On next reboot, ataraid doesn't resynchronize data.

	Regards,

	JKB