Re: NetBSD on Android using Limbo PC emulator

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> schrieb am Fr., 15. Jan. 2016, 11:49:

> I am trying to run NetBSD 7.0 i386 on an android device using qemu based
> limbo pc emulator.
>
> The emulator is not available in Google Play (why?),

	https://play.google.com/store/apps
block a few things (eg advert blockers).
	https://f-droid.org/
is a sourced app repo I often search before google.
Others stores exist, a list here:
	http://www.berklix.com/android/#stores
but all stores I looked at except f-droid were binary stores like google.

> has to be downloaded
> from sourceforge.

I hadnt heard of Limbo, so found:
	http://sourceforge.net/directory/?q=limbo+emulator

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/limbopcemulator/?source=directory
	"Limbo is a PC Emulator (x86) based on QEMU. You can now run
	Debian or DSL Linux on your Android device without root
	* Warning! Limbo works only with a few Desktop OSes. Windows
	XP and newer, Ubuntu, and all other large OS are NOT supported
	due to their heavy usage of the SD card and CPU.

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/limbo-emulator/?source=directory

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/limbo-emulator/

Might it be a good idea to suggest to owner of Limbo to consider putting
a copy on f-droid.org ?

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/
	BSD		nothing interesting
	limbo		No matches
	emulator	...
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=emulator&fdpage=1&page_id=0
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=emulator&fdid=info.guardianproject.lildebi

> I tried a couple of small Linux distros over it, though they eventually
> ran into errors or hung. They I tried NetBSD which ran absolutely cleanly.
> The installation using a bootable iso and subsequent downloading of sets
> etc. went through absolutely fine.

I've got some Androids I want to root & go for other roms eg cyanogenmod,
	http://www.berklix.com/android/#roms
Nice to know NetBSD may be an option :-)
Do you have a page I could link to re BSD on Android hardware ?
for now I've I linked to your post on this thread:
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2016/01/15/msg017631.html
from my http://www.berklix.com/android/#netbsd

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey,  BSD Linux Unix Sys. Eng. Consultant Munich http://berklix.eu
 Mail plain text,  No quoted-printable, HTML, base64, MS.doc.