Re: Firsts in NetBSD

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 11:13:12AM -0700, Swift Griggs wrote:

> I'm writing some documentation for a class I'm teaching soon at my
> job. One section covers various BSD's (each separate) contribution
> to features in the collective endowment of Unix variants out there.
>
> Here are the things I believe NetBSD was first at doing. Can anyone
> else think of ones that'd be worthy of note to a group of
> up-and-coming Unix geeks ?
>
> * First with a USB stack (beat Linux didn't it?)
> * First with TCP Auto tuning (Linux's autotune based on NetBSD's strategy)
> * First with Free ports to Alpha, HPPA, and MIPS (true?)
>
> I know there are more NetBSD "first to do XYZ". Does anyone care to
> correct those three or give me some more? Thanks in advance,
> friends.

First with an 802.11 stack, net80211, by Atsushi Onoe.

First with the extensible 802.11 radio-information header, radiotap.

When the 802.11 MACs known as "dumb packet engines" came out, NetBSD led
with some of the first drivers that were fully open-source (no binary
vendor blob), for ADMtek and Realtek chipsets.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981