Re: Beating a dead horse

On 11/23/15 11:36, Stephen Borrill wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
I have a small server running NetBSD 6.1.5, setup last summer with a combination of help onlist (*THANKS*) & an online tutorial I found here: http://abs0d.blogspot.com/2011/08/setting-up-8tb-netbsd-file-server.html (watch for line wrap). He setup a 5-HDD box, I used 6 HDD's, he used 2TB drives,

You've not show us your RAID configuration, but abs didn't pick the number 5 at random. This is 2^n+1, so that your number of data HDDs divides into 128 (no. of sectors in MAXPHYS).

If you really have 6 HDDs in your array, then, yes, it'll run like a dog (or rather write like a dog to badly mix metaphors).

Read further, I indeed have 4 data drives (actually slices), 1 parity drive, & 1 hot-swap spare, so I am indeed OK AFA # of data+parity drives.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.