Re: How to allow root telnet to a NetBSD 6.1.5 box

* jmitchel (jmitchel%mail.bigjar.com@localhost) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an appliance that I'm upgrading from 1.6.2 (I know, I know) to 6.1.5.
> The appliance currently only has the root account. I want users to be able
> to set up the box without having to use a serial cable, so I'm configuring
> it with a default IP and want them to be able to telnet in to set it up. The
> problem is, when I try to telnet as root, I get "root login refused on this
> terminal."
telnet is deprecated these day. You should always use ssh.
You have only one account, so telnet as any wheel user then su will not work.
So far, try this (I haven't tested).
Open /etc/pam.d/login and comment out the following line.
#account		requisite	pam_securetty.so

Then try telnet as root again.
And let me know if it solves.

--
Pongthep Kulkrisada

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system,
but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
-- Dennis M. Ritchie