How to allow root telnet to a NetBSD 6.1.5 box

Hello,

I have an appliance that I'm upgrading from 1.6.2 (I know, I know) to 6.1.5. The appliance currently only has the root account. I want users to be able to set up the box without having to use a serial cable, so I'm configuring it with a default IP and want them to be able to telnet in to set it up. The problem is, when I try to telnet as root, I get "root login refused on this terminal." I've tried multiple entries to /etc/ttys, but I can't seem to get any to work. I've tried

pts/0
./pts/0
/dev/pts/0

but none of them allow root telnet. I'm assuming it's possible that I'm looking in the wrong place entirely, so please feel free to point me in the right direction. If it's not possible to telnet as root would changing the username from root to something else fix the problem? I'd consider that a solution of last resort because I assume it would require lots of changes to other config files that reference "root".

In case it matters, the appliance is running i386 on an apu1c board booting off of an imbedded memory disk. The storage device is an mSSD.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Thanks in advance for any help. Please copy me on any messages as I am not yet subscribed to the mailing list.

Thanks,

Jason M.