Re: Console Resolution

Michael van Elst wrote:
cchapman8%cogeco.ca@localhost (Clark Chapman) writes:

I did a fresh install of NBSD 7.0 on my x86_64 machine. When it boots
the console starts in 80x25 mode then when DRM initializes it increases
the resolution so the text is so small that my 77 year old eyes can
barely read it. I have the same problem on my Raspberry Pi. When I start
an X11 terminal everything is fine. I have read all the documentation I
can think of without finding anything that helps.

You can build a kernel with an embedded larger font. The console will chose
the closest font for a 25x80 resolution. This is as easy as adding a

options FONT_GLASS10x25

to the kernel config file. There are a few more fonts in
src/sys/dev/wsfont/wsfont.c. The larger ones are:

FONT_GALLANT12x22
FONT_SONY12x24
FONT_GLASS10x19
FONT_GLASS10x25
FONT_DEJAVU_SANS_MONO12x22
FONT_DROID_SANS_MONO12x22
FONT_DROID_SANS_MONO19x36

Adding such a font will kick out the default font, but I think it is
useful to keep it as a fallback in case you connect to a display with
lower resolution. You can add it again to the kernel configuration with

options FONT_BOLD8x16

This didn't make a difference but I got my 80x25 console by uncommenting the legacy drivers and commenting the new drmkms ones. I think however that when the wscons.conf file specifys an 80x25 terminal that is what I should get. Instead that terminal was not configured.