Re: termcap issue

mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:

> FreeBSD removed the tset call from login in 1995, replaced it first
> with a fixed 'stty erase ^H' and then dropped it altogether. I am
> not sure if that is the best approach, but it surely avoids the
> ssh-login problem.
>
> An alternative would be to remove the kbs attribute from 'remote terminals'
> in the terminfo database.

Sorry, I didn't absorb your second note before replying.  Either of
those sounds fine, or perhaps both.  It's pretty clear that knowing what
a remote terminal uses as the backarrow key is near hopeless.

I'd like to see us move to backarrow always being DEL when used as an
ASCII-ish key.  That's a return to the pre-PC systems heritage.  I think
it will work better with emacs, and with ssh as the remote login
approach, everybody else will see mostly the same behavior.

The fact that this tset change is provoking complaints is a testament to
how well the propagation of local settings is working.