Re: Trouble while updating Firefox

Please don't top-post since it makes quoting more and more difficult
as the discussion progresses.

Rocky Hotas wrote:
> The output of "pkg_delete speexdsp" was so weird:
>
> pkg_delete: No matching package for basename 'speexdsp' of 'speexdsp'

That's because you never had a package called "speexdsp" installed on
your system to begin with.

Taking a closer look at the output of pkg_add, installing "speexdsp" as
a dependency failed because some other package named "speex" is already
installed and conflicts with "speexdsp":

> > >pkg_add: Conflicting PLIST with speex-1.2rc1nb1:
> > >include/speex/speex_echo.h
> > >pkg_add: Can't install dependency speexdsp>=1.2rc3

So uninstall "speex" first and then try to install Firefox again.

(If I remember correctly, the trouble with "speex" comes from a change
that happened a while back when some functionality that used to be part
of "speex" got separated into the new "speexdsp" port. This causes the
old "speex" package to conflict with the new "speexdsp" package if the
system doesn't update "speex" to the newer version before trying to
install the "speexdsp" package. Manually removing the old "speex"
package usually resolves issues like this.)

Patrick