Re: USB-keyboard with a non-standard layout in wscons

Thanks, Dan.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:32 AM, Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam%verizon.net@localhost> wrote:
> Maybe check current mode, with wsconsctl -a
> In wscons.conf you have encoding=dk  ?

yes, actually, with the wanted  modification:  dk.nodead.

> Is this key left of enter, and is it giving you what's printed on it?

No that is what is my problem.  The engraving says {*'} {UC/LC}.
Today, I noticed, however, that the USB-envoding is very different
froma "normal" keyboard, when I run "wsconsctl map"

The mapings, you show below are from a "normal" keyboard.  The
mapping I get is aspecial USB mapping where the "American" mapping
is 49 and the "Danish" mapping is 50.   I have not decided how to
fix my problem, but your answer as wellas Michael vanElst's have helped
me a lot.

>> Is there anything that I can do to wscons.conf to make the key in the
>> third row next to the enter-key Danish in stead of American?
>

> There's a way to add a file of individual redefines in wscons.conf,
> with "mapfile", but I'm still putting mine in /etc/rc.local
> I have:
> /sbin/wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 1 = Escape exclamdown" > /dev/null
> /sbin/wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 58 = Cmd_Debugger Control_L" > /dev/null
> /sbin/wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 211 = KP_Delete" > /dev/null
>   wsconsctl map | grep backslash
> and
>   wsconsctl map | grep apostrophe
>
> Since, you're getting backlash and bar in console, it has to be there
> somewhere, and then change that keycode.  If, for example, it's 43 then
> wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 43 = apostrophe asterisk" | grep ' 43 ='
>
> The grep isn't necessary, but otherwise it prints out the whole map.

Well, I use "less" instead of "more", as I  am so old that i implemented
the very first version of "less", downloaded from usenet.  Firs in my own
~/bin.  Later we decided to move it to /usr/local/bin.   It suited us Danes
well, at less from the beginning supported the full Latin1 alphabet.

So much for history.

Kind regards
            Hans