Re: USB-keyboard with a non-standard layout in wscons

hansdinsenhansen%gmail.com@localhost (Hans dinsen-hansen) writes:

>I have 2 problems with a new USB-keyboard and wscons.  The system
>is NetBSD 5.1.

>  1) The backspase key gives ^H in stead of ^?.
>   2) The Danish keyboard layout yields JKL��| jklæø\
>        in stead of standard JKL��* jklæø'.

>When I use an Xterm I get the standard Danish keyboard layout

>The first problem is easily solved by means of "stty erase '^H'"
>in the .login file.

This should be set with the tset command which retrieves the
key bindings from the termcap/terminfo database.
But it appears that this is broken (and probably has been for
a very long time).

>Is there anything that I can do to wscons.conf to make the key in the
>third row next to the enter-key Danish in stead of American?

There are unfortunately many places where keyboard mapping is
handled.

For wscons you use the wsconsctl command.
For X11 you use the xmodmap command.
For modern X11 you can use the setxkbmap command.

>Actually, I prefer wscons over Xterm as the characters are much
>larger and thus
>better for my waning sight.

You can set xterm to use large fonts too. Ctrl+Right Mouse Button
gives you a menu to select several sizes. The -font option lets
you chose the default font. And using X11 resources you can
specify the other fonts in the menu.

Modern xterm also supports scalable FreeType fonts with the -fa option.
The menu then lets you chose the single font scaled to different sizes.

Try    xterm -fa 'Luxi Mono:size=20'

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost