Re: re-transmission: Re: Prepping to install

On 06/11/15 07:18, David Brownlee wrote:
>> Do you have a RAID1 set to autoconfigure as root? If so, it will
>> 'steal' root even when you boot off a USB key or other.
>

> *Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh*, that explains much !!!!
>

>> If you drop to the boot prompt and 'boot netbsd -a' you should be
>> asked for a root device (among other items:)
>

> That's where I seem to be stuck, I don't recall an opportunity to do that,
> when & where do I (try to) drop to the boot prompt ? TIA & thanks for the
> reply :-) ....
Should be at the very first NetBSD boot loader prompt - when it counts down

OK, belay my last reply, it was option 4 at the boot prompt, when I hit that, it went through its initialization, then got to a couple of lines that said:

boot device raid0
root device (default raid0a):

When I tried to enter something, it was hung, cursor never moved, no characters that I typed in showed up, nothing. All text on the screen was in green, FWIW, several screen-fulls, talking about devices located etc, w/ cursor in white right after the '(raid0a):'. What now ?

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.