Re: Prepping to install

On 06/09/15 08:37, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 08:28:38AM -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
Well, on further review of my last post, I determined that my
'raid.conf' file raid10.txt had an error, referring to /dev/raid[1,2],
which in fact do not exist. There are however /dev/raid[1,2][a-p]. Which
ones do I use to setup my RAID10 from my RAID1 devices raid1 & raid2 ?
TIA & have a good one :-) ....
Tricky question ;-)

It depends on the architecture you are using (check the output of
sysctl kern.rawpartition, if it is 2 think 'c', if 3 think 'd').

You have two options: partition the outer raid, e.g. by creating a partition
'a' of type raid on them - in that case: use /dev/raid0a (for example).

Or use the whole device raw (without any partitions): in that case use
/dev/raid0d (or raid0c, depending on above output).

The second method is easier, and if you do not want other things on the outer
raids, just use it.

Martin

Thanks for the reply. My RAID1 raid[1,2] devices are defined from 16 GiB partitions of the underlying HDD's, 2 each per raid device. They are not intended to be subdivided, AFAIK. Therefore, I'm guessing /dev/raid[1,2]a, right :-) ?

Another question, pertinent to this issue: is a RAID10 device such as I am trying to construct autoconfigurable during boot ? I am planning to use this RAID10 device as /usr, so it needs to be there during boot. The online man page says not, but it also says opposite things in different sections on other topics, so I am unsure about this. TIA & thanks again :-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.