Re: using sysinst to create xen DOMUs

On May 18, 2015, at 11:18 PM, John Nemeth wrote:
>  See:  http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto/ starting at
> "Unprivileged domains (domU)".

Thanks for the pointer.  However, I think you misinterpreted my question; sorry not to have been clearer.  I have made lots of DOMUs before, but always by hand or by booting the install image directly.  I wanted to try using sysinst directly on the DOM0 to populate a vnd-mounted file containing the DOMU image.  Thus, my question was about the use of sysinst to create a file containing the DOMU image, not what the contents of that image should be nor how to write a xen configuration file.

Here is the problem I am having.  When I run sysinst as an unprivileged user I am selecting the utility menu -> partition a disk -> vnd.  Then I define a path and save the results.  The selected path and size is listed in the table but when the "finish" option is selected the next message is that no root partition exists.  I would have expected it to create a file of the appropriate size and use vnconfig to mount it, making it available as a disk for installation for the rest of the sysinst procedure.  That clearly did not happen.

Am I misunderstanding how to make use of the "partition disk" options in sysinst?  Is there documentation on how those options are supposed to work?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook