Re: More prepping to install

On 05/18/15 12:00, Robert Elz wrote:
     Date:        Mon, 18 May 2015 11:06:52 -0453
     From:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost>

   | However, if NetBSD AMD64 cannot in fact boot from a RAID10, then
   | I stay w/ my original layout. Does anyone know authoritatively if NetBSD
   | 6.1.5 AMD64 can in fact boot from a RAID10 root partition ?

NetBSD doesn't really boot from raid at all - however raid1 is just mirrors,
each device has identical content - each can be booted from, by just booting
from one of them (if you want to get the benefit of the mirror for booting,
your bios needs to be told to try one, then the other - the boot program
knows nothing of this).

The sole variation that allows "booting from raid" is that the boot program
knows the size of the raid overhead, and if it doesn't find boot info on the
drive at its start, it knows how many blocks to skip to try looking at where
the start of the embedded data inside the raid1 partition will be.

Nothing that requires access to 2 drives (raid0, raid5, raid10 .. others
except raid1) has any hope of working with the current (very simple) boot
program which accesses just a single drive.

kre

ps: if you were to use a hardware raid controller, that makes a raid array
look like a single drive (or several) to the system, all this would of course
vary - you would be able to boot from one of the raid controller's logical
drives, provided the bios, and controller, support that.

Thanks for your reply. I thought that since a RAID10 is just a RAID0 of RAID1 devices, there might be some hope of the boot program still finding what it needed on the RAID1 devices under the RAID10, but apparently not. No problems, I can proceed as originally planned w/ no discomfort. Thanks again :-).

P.S. I will be using NetBSD soft RAID, no external/hardware controller. I don't even know what the mbd supports AFA RAID is concerned, but I was/am planning on the NetBSD soft RAID from the get-go. Thanks again.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.