Re: Prepping to install

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:

>     Date:        Mon, 11 May 2015 19:16:42 -0453
>     From:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost>
>
>   | I concur on the observation about OS recovery, I want the box to be
>   | failsafe w/ 1 HDD going out, a *highly* improbable event,
>
> Not that improbable - they're moving parts, like fans, they wear over time.
> Leave the system running long enough, one will die &/or develop bad spots.
>
> So yes, raid1 (or raid5) everything (including swap space) if you want the
> system to keep running for long periods (and of course, depending on what
> "keep running" really means, perhaps even arrange for hot swap drives,
> so you can replace a bad one without a shutdown.)

Strongly seconded.  I have a lot of RAID1 systems between personal and
work, and estimating that each disk fails every 3 years is not crazy.  I
would guess that at least half the systems have had a replacment.  With
raidframe RAID1, this is not a big deal.  Without hot swap, which AFAIK
NetBSD doesn't really support well, yes you need to take the machine
down.  But 10 minutes of planned downtime to put in a new disk -- and no
data loss -- within a few days of failure is awesome compared to crash
in the middle of the night and scrambling to recover backups.